26 april 2010

Day one in a week of blogging about knitting

 

4527303865_63e0e46670

The question and tekst of the day goes:

How and when did you begin knitting/crocheting? was it a skill passed down through generations of your family, or something you learned from Knitting For Dummies? What or who made you pick up the needles/hook for the first time? Was it the celebrity knitting ‘trend’ or your great aunt Hilda?

 

My very first experience in the knitting business, was at the age of sixteen. It was in the early ‘80, and homemade knitwear was a hot trend. A friend and I knitted all sorts of sweaters from patterns in magazines. Eventhough I have severeral relatives who knit, my mother never did, and so I just had to learn along the way and improvise when in doubt. I remember having great fun, but only one or two projects really ever finished ok.

I still have the recepies from back then, and these two are the projects that ended up wearable:

scan0001_resize

 

 

scan0002_resize

 

By the age of twenty I gave it up, the trend was fading and instead I took up needlepointing again, a hobby that was to mark me as the weardo in my later circle of friends. It’s been a hobby of mine since I was a small child, and all the women in my family does it. In the late ‘80 fashion was NOT that of being homey, and like making jam, it just wasn’t done.. I’ve never been one to follow trends though in my grown up life, and when everybody else went for wellpaying careers I just tried to hang in there, battling with a growing mental ilness, and the feeling of not being like everybody else. Embroidering was a great way of taking my mind of things.

 

DSCN2354 DSCN2361

SNC12083_resize

Three exsambles of my needlepoiting projects.

 

And so it went on until only last spring, when I finally tried to take up knitting again. For a while it had been on my mind, but i’d hesitated because of the idea that yarn was too expencive, and the fact that I really didn’t know how to do it proberly. I april ‘09 I began blogging, and shortly after I came across several knitters, who inspired me to try a small project of a scarf. It quicly ended it’s days a my pets favorite blanket, and looked terible. Cheap yarn, wrong size of needles and no exact instruction was the reason, and I decided never to go that way about it again. If I’m to spend so much time and energy in making things I actually want to wear and use, it has to be done right.

 

SNC12079_resize

strik til marsvin

Guinea Cupcake loved it very much :))

 

Since then Ravelry and the fact that a lot of great tutorials is to be found both on youtube and from other bloggers, has turned me into a complete knitting nerd hihi. Everything I’ve made has been taught to me, including crochet,  via the internet, and a for a period, in a knitting café nearby. The very idea of knitting in a shop, filled with wonderful yarns is great and very inspiring AND help is always at hand.

The reason knitting is a part of my daily life and a MUST do rutine is simple, and the same as for embroidering. Colours and patterns makes me forget and relax, it takes me away from my uncontrolled mind, and gives me an inner calm that is priceless. The finished objects are of course a pleasure in it selv, but not the main purpose, and a great many things ends up as gifts, some of it i’ve even sold to friends and others, with a wonderful sence of pride.

 

Want to read what other bloggers/ravelers has to tell of todays subject?

Kopy : knitcroblo1 and paste in googlesearch, it links directly. Read it with a sip of coffee, lean back and enjoy ;)

 

Klik her for at læse mere om dagens og ugens bloggeemne:

http://defemibyen.blogspot.com/2010/04/en-uge-med-strikkesjov.html

3 kommentarer:

  1. It's so cool reading about how other people started knitting!

    SvarSlet
  2. The translation came out quite well! No need to worry after all : )
    This is gonna be a fun week! : )

    SvarSlet
  3. Thank you so much for sharing! Your embroidery looks really lovely too! And you've got a knitting cafe near you: I envy you that. I hope you continue enjoying knitting and any other crafts you may explore. I think it is such a nice thing to be able to create something that can be used, it is so satisfying! Enjoy.

    SvarSlet